Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Winter Quarters / Kanesville Tabernacle

Sister Marshall, myself and Sister Pat Morris in the Kanesville Tabernacle by picture showing Brigham Young being sustained as President of the Church.


Ann and I by First Presidency Memorial at Kanesville Tabernacle.

Memorials in front of Visitor's Center, Winter Quarters

We had a wonderful tour of the Winter Quarters Visitor's Center where something very special happened. Ann's grandfather, Jonathan Pugmire, Jr., joined the Mormon Battalion at Winter Quarters. His name was on a plaque in the Visitor's Center.

We were then taken to the Kanesville Tabernacle for a tour. It was extremely interesting. I won't try to go into the whole history of it, but it is an amazing story. In a nutshell, the tabernacle was built in approximately two weeks so there would be a place for the saints to meet for the sustaining of Brigham Young as President of the Church.

When we went back to the Visitor's Center, the Sister missionary there had printed out two pages about Ann's great grandfather. There was a paragraph in it that he had written himself. I thought that was pretty amazing. What a treasure. Makes me want to know more than I already know about my own brave pioneer ancesters. I think I'm ready for family history!!

No comments:

Post a Comment