Saturday, November 27, 2010

Hurray! My Son, Aaron, Comes to Visit

I was so excited to learn that Aaron had a work assignment in Manhattan, Missouri, and that he would be able to spend a little bit of time with me. He flew into Kansas City on Monday and drove to the Library where I work and we were able to have a few hours before he returned to airport to pick up co-workers and drive to Manhattan.

On Friday, after a week's work and dropping off co-workers at the airport, he drove to Independence and we were able to see a few sights Friday evening. He stayed Friday night and then we were able to do more sightseeing on Saturday before he had to return to airport to fly home. It was such a special treat for me to spend some time with him. Thanks so much, Aaron. I love you.

We visited the cemetery in Independence where Joseph Smith III (son of Joseph Smith, Jr.) is buried. He was the first President of the Reorganized (Community of Christ) Church. There are others of that family buried there also.


The marker for those in Zions Camp who died of cholera

We then visited the Community of Christ temple

This is a picture of the ceiling inside the sanctuary.

The Community of Christ First Presidency

The Community of Christ Twelve Apostles

Displays on walkway to Sanctuary -- all a little foreign to me, but interesting to see


Community of Christ Auditorium

Temple Site - owned by Church of Christ

We also went to the Visitor's Center, by the Truman Home and then on to the Truman Library. They had the flag at half staff -- not sure if that is the case all the time or if there was some other reason.
The Harry S. Truman Library and Museum is a wonderful place to visit, and we spent a couple of hours here. It's impossible to really post pictures that do it justice, but here are a few.

Me and Aaron in lobby of library.


Replica of the Oval Office





Harry S Truman and wife, Bess, graves


1 comment:

  1. I am so jealous that Aaron was able to come visit you. I really should have made that happen and it will be something I regret. Oh well, at least I get to see you soon! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete